One of the easiest and fastest ways to dress is by wearing simple clothes, then adding some interesting accessories. I do this all the time. Not only is it easy, its quite economical, as you can create many different outfits with the same, sometimes more expensive, neutral clothes. When the accessories are eye catching, I find that’s what people pay attention to, more than the neutral clothes. So, if you wish to dress like this, here are the Top 15 accessories to add interest to your work outfits:
The look we are aiming for is sophisticated and interesting, not bonkers, so I wouldn’t recommend wearing too many of these at once. However, you will see that most of these accessories are classically shaped, with the interesting detail lying in the pattern or colour.
The details of the individual pieces are:
If you are looking for some more fuschia suede to add to your wardrobe, but you are on a strict budget, I just bought these DUNE | Luiza fuschia suede slippers | suede upper, synthetic lining and sole | £23 (was £59). These are much brighter in real life, like a shocking Schiaparelli pink, you can see a photo of them on my Instagram:
Although, since they are shoes, I won’t be wearing them terribly often as I easily spoil suede shoes. That’s why I wouldn’t spend much on suede shoes. I expect a suede shoulder handbag (not a clutch that you, you know “clutch”) would wear better, though.
2) REISS | Eden double strap ankle court shoes in gem | Leather upper and lining, synthetic sole | Heel height: 7cm | £79 (was £159)
I’ve written about how interesting shoes help your career before, and here are another pair that could start a conversation, while still looking chic. What’s more, they are reduced to a more affordable price, along with other lovely heels in the Outlet section of the Reiss website.
3) & OTHER STORIES | Oily reptile phone case | 100% Cow leather | £19
This phone case has an incredible leather finish, making it quite a unique accessory.
4) MANGO | Fur leather ankle boots in off-white | Ponyskin outer, synthetic lining and sole | Heel height: 10cm | £119
I doubt I could actually walk far in a heel this high, but these are so fabulous, I had to include them for those who can wear such high heels. Mere mortals, like me, can but gaze at them in delight.
5) ZARA | Leather city bag with zips in red | Calfskin outer, cotton lining | £89.99
A red bag is a classic, interesting accessory, and one that you can use for years to come.
6) ZARA | Necklace with geometric rhinestones | 50% zinc, 40% plastic, 10% iron| £29.99
Zara really do have the best statement necklaces, at this price point. No wonder my friends and I have so many of them.
7) NEW LOOK | Cream woven gem point flats | Textile upper, synthetic sole | £19.99
I recently bought these on a whim, and am really glad I did. They are cute, comfortable (I am between sizes, so bought the larger size and added a memory foam insole) and sparkly. All for under £20.
8) BANANA REPUBLIC | Leather stud bracelet in grey and silver | Leather and metal bracelet with buckle closure | £25
Just the right side of fierce for work.
9) Marks & Spencer | M&S Collection leather gloves in magenta | Leather outer, polyester lining | £18
Affordable, durable and colourful gloves: perfect antidote to cold, grey days.
10) ZARA | Fur wraparound stole in brown | 89% Modacrylic, 19% polyester | £29.99
Zara fur is some of the best on the high street, in my opinion, and I have a similar stole in black from a few years ago that is plush and thick, that I always receive compliments on. Its the easiest way to add some affordable luxury to a plain coat.
11) MANGO | Faceted crystal earrings in green | 70% acrylic,25% zinc,5% brass | £14.99
I don’t recommend hanging, swinging earrings that bob around your face while you talk, distracting others. However, these look bold and luxurious and, most importantly!, likely to stay still.
12) REISS | Emerald asymmetric strap court heels in blue | Leather and suede upper, leather lining, synthetic sole | Heel height: 8.5 cm | £85 (was £169)
Another beautiful pair of heels from the Reiss Outlet section.
13) JIGSAW | Camouflage print scarf | Silk chiffon | £59
This is a fantastic print, almost like leopard print, but not quite and all the more subtle for it.
14) ZARA | Double pearl earring | 50% acrylic, 45% brass, 5% steel | £12.99
This is at the more conservative end of the “interesting accessory” spectrum, but sometimes that’s either what we feel like, or what our workplace requires. Either way, these are a fun, high street spin on the Dior double pearl earrings (£260).
15) REISS | Ivy animal print court heels | Leather upper and lining. Synthetic sole | heel heigh: 9cm | £159
Its another pair of Reiss heels! Frankly, I was going to include the classic Nine West leopard print heels I keep writing about, but I wanted to do a post on interesting accessories that I have not written about before. Nobody likes a rehash, now do they?! Also, the black and white animal print is a stunning, rare beast.
Thank you for reading, Reader, and have a lovely day.